Freebies4All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freebies4All

A place to post and share Freebies

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Storing food for winter...LOL

Go down 
+4
alias
Donna
DreamWeaver
Kriss
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kriss
Ast. Admin
Kriss

Number of posts : 4262
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Storing food for winter...LOL Empty
PostSubject: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:12 am

Yesterday I canned 15 pints and 1 quart of Bread N Butter pickles!

Storing food for winter...LOL Dsci0036

Then I made 4 small and 4 huge loaves of zuchini bread. I still have 6 zuchini sitting on my counter, so I will be making more.

Storing food for winter...LOL Dsci0037

I also have about 15 heads of cabbage ready to be made into saurkraut! That takes forever to cut up. I am praying my tomatoes turn read so I can make a bunch of spaghetti sauce Razz
Back to top Go down
https://freeplease.rpg-board.net/forum.htm
DreamWeaver
Ast. Admin
DreamWeaver

Number of posts : 2174
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:10 am

Man, I so miss having a garden and being able to do all that stuff! You are making me hungry now Kriss.
Back to top Go down
Donna
Admin
Donna

Number of posts : 2549

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:15 am

wow Kriss that is so cool, wish I could do things like that!
Back to top Go down
https://freeplease.rpg-board.net
alias
Advanced Member
alias

Number of posts : 1212
Registration date : 2009-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:32 am

That bread looks so yummy...I can almost smell it from here. Do bad you don't live closer, I give you a starter batter for Amish friendship bread.
Back to top Go down
Kriss
Ast. Admin
Kriss

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:36 am

alias wrote:
That bread looks so yummy...I can almost smell it from here. Do bad you don't live closer, I give you a starter batter for Amish friendship bread.

Oh man that would be great! I've heard of that before and would love to try it.

Last edited by Kriss on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DreamWeaver
Ast. Admin
DreamWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 11:38 am

You can actually make your own starter. It is just that the bread gets better as it starts mixture ages some. I have known people to have kept it going for many years from the first initial batch.
Back to top Go down
alias
Advanced Member
alias

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 8:45 pm

[quote="DreamWeaver"]You can actually make your own starter. It is just that the bread gets better as it starts mixture ages some. I have known people to have kept it going for many years from the first initial batch.[/quote]

Yepper. A friend gave me a starter batch over a year ago and I've lost track how many people I have in return given a starter batch to.

Do you have the recipe for the starter batch?
Back to top Go down
Kriss
Ast. Admin
Kriss

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 9:01 pm

No I do not have the recipe, but I would love it sunny PLEASE I love you
Back to top Go down
alias
Advanced Member
alias

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 9:43 pm

I was asking Dream if she had it...I don't have it...all I got was a starter batch from a friend with instructions on what to do with it every day...I'll see if I can find it on the internet if Dream doesnt have it.
Back to top Go down
DreamWeaver
Ast. Admin
DreamWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 2:08 am

No I don't. I used to have one many years ago, but have lost the recipe. But I did find a starter recipe for it here:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Friendship-Bread-Starter/Detail.aspx

& Here:
http://www.squidoo.com/amish-friendship-bread-starter
Back to top Go down
Lillen
Advanced Member
Lillen

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:04 am

Wow, you've been busy! Everything looks dee-lish! cherry
Back to top Go down
teletalker
Advanced Member
teletalker

Number of posts : 1410

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:27 am

Wow! You will have some yummy food for the winter! It all looks great too.
When you cut the cabbage do you have a little food chopper? I don't have a food processor but have a little one, works great for some things. It would take awhile to do all that cabbage you have but easier on the hands than cutting. I made a couple loaves of zuccini bead and used my chopper to grate the zuccini- easier than using grater and getting my fingers. lol
Back to top Go down
Lillen
Advanced Member
Lillen

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 11:43 pm

Kriss! Found this tonight (a little late) ... but apparently today (Aug 8th) was "Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbors' Porch Day"!

List for successful sneaking of Zucchini or otherwise ridding yourself of unwanted surplus summer squash:

1) Carefully place a dozen or more zucchini in a large, sturdy black plastic trash bag, then add a couple layers of unwanted clothing. Drive to nearest Goodwill or Salvation Army, hand over bag to nearest volunteer. Politely refuse any offered receipt. Leave quickly.

2) Look for out of the way places which have signs posted, "Clean Fill Wanted."

3) Reserve 1/2 of the space in large, upright freezer, gather all available plastic containers & freezer bags. Drink a vat of your favorite caffeinated beverage, in preparation for staying up round the clock to puree large quantities of zucchini. This can then be packaged neatly and artistically labeled: "For Zucchini Nut Bread Recipe." These packages can be freely given, along with copies of recipe, to anyone on your Christmas list.

4) Under light of full moon, either stark naked or wearing full army camouflage, carrying a machete or any garden implement, run amuck in your zucchini patch, cutting and slashing. Be sure to thank mother nature for her bounty before and after this cathartic experience.

5) Buy a large roll of freezer paper--the kind that sub shops use to, you know, wrap up their subs & other sandwiches. Then proceed to wrap each zucchini which has managed to grow to a foot or more in length. Next time your child has a fundraiser, send him or her out supplied with these phoney subs. Tell child to drop them off with neighbors or relatives and leave quickly. It's advisable that a responsible adult hover nearby in a get-away car.

From here: http://www.wellcat.com/august/sneak_some_zucchini_onto_your_ne.htm clown
Back to top Go down
bluewolf
Advanced Member
bluewolf

Number of posts : 284

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 7:16 am

Pickles look great. I'm going to make some tomorrow. Whats your recipe?
Back to top Go down
Kriss
Ast. Admin
Kriss

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 6:40 pm

LMAO, Lillen Smile lol!

Blue I will look up that recipe here and post it this evening!
Back to top Go down
Kriss
Ast. Admin
Kriss

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 1:04 pm

bluewolf wrote:
Pickles look great. I'm going to make some tomorrow. Whats your recipe?

Bread & Butter Pickles

4 qts slicked cucumbers
3 red or green peppers (if desired)
1/3 cup salt
3 medium onions
2 trays ice cubes

Mix well. Add water so pickles are covered. Let stand 3 hours. Drain well. Then make syrup of:

2 1/2 cup whiter sugar
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
1 1/2 tsp tumeric
2 cup vinegar

Bring to boil & cook 3 min or until pickles turn color. Put in small jars and seal.

I am so sorry it has taken forever to put this recipe in, I'm sure you have already done your pickles for the year but just incase you are still interested Embarassed

I made a batch of dill pickles from a packet and I don't know if it is because it's from a packet or what, but I really did not care for them confused
Back to top Go down
Nikki
Nikki

Number of posts : 3500

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 4:20 pm

Kriss you did an amazing job.. I may have 2 come over sometime thru the winter to try that bread LMAO !! It looks delicious..
Back to top Go down
Kriss
Ast. Admin
Kriss

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:15 pm

Nikki wrote:
Kriss you did an amazing job.. I may have 2 come over sometime thru the winter to try that bread LMAO !! It looks delicious..

Nikki, I have about 8 zucchini on my counter that I need to mash and make bread with!! They are decent sized zucchini too. You can come over anytime for Zucchini bread & some of my freshly dried mint tea!! Maya thinks I call it "purple" tea, when I say herbal tea Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nikki
Nikki

Number of posts : 3500

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:41 pm

awww thats cute!!!
Back to top Go down
DreamWeaver
Ast. Admin
DreamWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:52 am

Oh wow, you make your own tea too! That is great!
Back to top Go down
Donna
Admin
Donna

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 9:11 am

she is just the very best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Kriss
Ast. Admin
Kriss

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 1:12 am

Donna wrote:
she is just the very best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww, Thank you Embarassed

I just got done making 4 more loaves of zucchini bread and a Pinch me cake. I also froze 12 bags of zucchini! That will make 24 loaves of bread this winter What a Face
Back to top Go down
Donna
Admin
Donna

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 4:49 am

ok what is a pinch me cake?
Back to top Go down
Kriss
Ast. Admin
Kriss

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 11:07 am

Donna wrote:

PINCH - ME - CAKE

2 loaves let frozen bread dough thaw and rise until doubled. Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar and 5 teaspoons of cinnamon, 3/4 cup of nuts (optional). Keep in small bowl, melt 3/4 cup butter, now tear off small pieces of dough and shape into balls (about size of walnuts) dip balls into butter, then in sugar mixture. Put balls in tube pan or Bundt pan. Let raise 3/4 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Let cool in pan 15 minutes. Pull apart to eat.
Back to top Go down
Lillen
Advanced Member
Lillen

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Kriss wrote:
Donna wrote:

PINCH - ME - CAKE

2 loaves let frozen bread dough thaw and rise until doubled. Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar and 5 teaspoons of cinnamon, 3/4 cup of nuts (optional). Keep in small bowl, melt 3/4 cup butter, now tear off small pieces of dough and shape into balls (about size of walnuts) dip balls into butter, then in sugar mixture. Put balls in tube pan or Bundt pan. Let raise 3/4 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Let cool in pan 15 minutes. Pull apart to eat.

Oh yummy (stomach growling!) Razz I think in the south they call this "Monkey Bread".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Storing food for winter...LOL   Storing food for winter...LOL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Storing food for winter...LOL
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next